View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 11:59 AM  

Minister of Magic
Pureblood
Widowed

James Potter
Personality

To understand the personality of James Potter, it is imperative to first understand that there are many dynamics within James Potter that come together to form the man himself. What he comes across as and what he really is are two different things, but they are, essentially, still him. To the onlooker, James has an arrogance only rivaled by that of Sirius Black's--his best friend and one of his three partners-in-crime. This arrogance can lead to a certain amount of cruelty at times, especially exhibited when he is faced with his enemy from Hogwarts, Severus Snape. He is very proud of his abilities, such as his skills in Quidditch as a Chaser and his exceptional talent for Transfiguration and Charm work, and he certainly does not hide his confidence in his talents. When he was younger, he had a bad habit of hexing people simply because he could, and though he stopped doing this as much his seventh year, he still found occasions to hex Snape. His temper is short, sparked oftentimes by those he does not get along with, and he is quick to action. His maturity level is increased following his sixth and seventh year, yet he still presents as any normal eighteen-year-old boy: slightly immature and ridiculous at times.

What James Potter really is--well, he really is all of those things that the onlooker sees in him. But what many don't know about him is that he is also--well, he can be--honest to a fault. His strong convictions encourage him to pursue that which is right in the world, which is (one of the reasons) why he is so against Severus Snape to begin with. He knows what sacrifices to make to ensure the good of everything around him--or at least, what he thinks is good. Even when he is faced with the near destruction of someone he cannot stand, he knows when to step in and put an end to things. He is nearly without prejudices, having witnessed the dislike of Muggleborn students in his classmates and he himself being best friends with a werewolf--but he cannot help but feel a certain prejudice against those who preach blood purity.

He loves without question, but his love is not given freely. The bond he developed with Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew is a bond that is unbreakable, solidified by a strong sense of filial love alongside teenage camaraderie and companionship. The relationship he has with Lily Evans is undeniably one that James was striving after for years, and his love for her portrayed itself through his anger when Snape called her a Mudblood, or his eagerness to get to know her better.

Family History

The Potter family is an old, wealthy pureblood family from the old wizarding village of Godric's Hollow, descended from Ignotus Peverell himself. Gale Potter and Eva Gamp met in their days at Hogwarts, where they were both in Gryffindor, though Gale was a few years her senior. Their romance was conventional, yet heartwarming in its development: Eva tried out for the Quidditch team, on which Gale was a Chaser, and after a nasty hit with a Bludger, he carried her off to the Hospital Wing, and a swift romance ensued. Neither wanted children for a while--Gale was pursuing a career in the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and the two traveled according to what Mr. Potter's job required him to do. He became head of the entire department in 1948, giving the Potters reason to settle down--this was when they first attempted to have children. For a few years, they were unsuccessful, and had all but given up until Eva became pregnant in the summer of 1959, and he resigned in April 1960, immediately following the birth of his first and only son, James. Though the pair was elderly when James was born, they bestowed as much love upon him as they could, while they could. He was a treasure in their eyes--a reward for their perseverance and patience. They never had any other children, but when duty--and a sense of endearment--came to them, they took James' best friend, Sirius Black, under their wing like a second son.

James never went for want in his childhood, always receiving that which he needed and that which he wanted in a timely fashion, but not so much as to make him spoiled. His father taught him at a young age how to fly, hoping that he would pass on his love for Quidditch to James (which he did). His mother taught him some of the basic theory behind magic, as well as a few simple spells, hoping to get her son ahead of the game when he entered Hogwarts.

Hogwarts History

Much like the Black family with Slytherin, it was fairly standard for anyone of Potter lineage to be sorted into Gryffindor, which is why James followed his father into the house of Gryffindor. Once he was in Gryffindor, he became friends with Sirius Black; later on he became friends with Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew.

Though James, Sirius, and Peter always wondered where Remus disappeared to every month, it wasn't until during their second year at Hogwarts that they put two and two together. Far from shunning him--like Remus feared--the three vowed to help him deal with his 'furry little problem,' as James coined it, and they began the long, painstaking process of becoming illegal Animagi--they finally achieved this goal in their fifth year, and James took the form of a stag. Along with learning this ability, the four became known as the 'Marauders' around school, due to their obsession with troublemaking and pranks, especially against the school's caretaker, Argus Filch, and his cat, Mrs. Norris. These four accumulated very thick files in Filch's cabinets through their seven years at Hogwarts, hexing their peers for entertainment and setting off dungbombs in inopportune moments (among other pranks). His relationships with most of his classmates were very amicable, save for the Slytherins who got under his skin--those like Severus Snape and Sirius' younger brother, Regulus, who tossed the word 'Mudblood' around freely. On the opposite end of the spectrum, James could be very annoying when he was interested in someone, shown through his persistent pursual of Lily. Her denial of him only spurred him on further as he attempted to prove himself to her. Her opinion of him--that he was an arrogant, "bullying toerag," didn't change until he began to take things a bit more seriously as they worked together.

James tried out for the Quidditch team as soon as there was an opening on the team for a Chaser--an event that happened in his third year. The sport itself was something that came naturally to James, having inherited some of his talent from his parents, and being out on the pitch was a natural high for James. It was a hobby he continued through til his final year at Hogwarts, where he became Quidditch captain.

With his studies, he excelled in Transfiguration, which made it easier for him in the long run when it came to becoming an Animagus. He did rather poorly in History of Magic and Astronomy, but it reflected his interest in the subjects. As for Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, and Potions--he excelled in these as well, though he was not the top of the class. He found himself competing with the likes of Lily Evans and Severus Snape in Charms and Potions--respectively, though he competed with the both of them in Potions. This could be one of the reasons why James began to fancy Lily so early on, although it developed into something much stronger by the time it was their seventh year and they were paired together as Head Boy and Head Girl--which came as a complete and total shock to him when he received his letter, even though he began to clean up his act in his sixth year. Truthfully, he only did that because classes were becoming more difficult, giving the Marauders less time to do pranks. Seventh year was a much different story for James--as Head Boy, he had to clean up his act and actually obey the rules for once--something that was a foreign idea to him, but he was able to succeed. It probably helped that his parents had been so thrilled when he received the badge--and not to mention the fact that Lily was Head Girl alongside him.

Career History & Aspirations

I never really considered the idea of getting a job until I finished Hogwarts a few weeks ago, really. I don't really need one, do I? I've considered becoming a Hit Wizard or something flashy like that, but I honestly think I prefer taking my time to get my ducks in a row before I go out looking for a job. I don't know whether to be a Hit Wizard or an Auror, though, after those blokes were chasing Sirius and me a few weeks ago on our motorbikes. Still makes me laugh at the looks on the faces of those Muggle policemen. Maybe I could be a Muggle policeman--that would be brilliant, I could embed my wand in those sticks they use to beat people with!
27 March, 1960 Gryffindor Order of the Phoenix Noah Centineo
britt

Wands Up: Lily Potter |